Anyway! I'm revamping the debate quite a bit, so bear with me here!
These will be housewide. That means we won't have one rep per house or anything along those lines. However, I will be picking if you are pro or con. :) For example, if our topic was "Apples are a good, healthy treat", I might pick Slytherin and Gryffindor to argue the con, while Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw argue the pro.
You will be given exactly one day to prepare yourself with all the info you think you need. I will post up the topic a morning this week. From there, you have till an undisclosed time on the following day to prepare. Please, please take advantage of this time to recruit people from your team to participate.
Also, I've noticed in some debates, mainly house ones, that people will make their comment and be done. If you read something that someone writes, comment off of it! Your point in the debate is to make the person you're debating against think that you are right. So, say Sally makes a comment saying "I believe that congress should be voted on by state, and not nominated by the President", feel free to reply to her comment with "But why do you think that? If seats in congress were only by nomination of the President, then one could insure that it would be more balanced!"
This is meant to be a challenge, and I'm reading and roarin' to go. ;)
1. This is all in fun. Feel free to take it seriously, but keep yourself grounded.
2. In the heat of debate, please refrain from using any sort of personal attacks. This should be obvious, and this will get you docked points.
3. Please do not leave the topic, or leave your assigned side. This is also a good way to lose points as well!
4. What happens in debate stays in debate. I don't want to see any of you getting catty with each other for whatever sort of battles go on in the debate post. When we leave the debate, we're all friends again!
5. Every qualified comment will earn you 2 points. A qualified comment means:
a. A point is made.
b. The comment is more than three sentences long.
c. The comment stays on topic and is correct according to the side you are debating.
d. The comment is signed. And by that, I do have to request that if you accidently forget to sign it, that you delete the comment and repost with your name and house in it. Otherwise, should the thread collapse, I might not catch that you were signing in another comment.
6. Please do not plan any sort of strategies in your common rooms. I want this to be your own genius, not what a prefect tells you to say. ;) Besides, there's more pride in coming up with something intelligent on your own, right? However, it is okay to track your house's progress or root your team on there. I won't be in the common rooms to make sure you guys follow this rule, so use the honor code.
7. If you make a comment that is just so out there that it has to be deleted, expect your house to suffer from the loss of a very large amount of points. So just don't do it, kay? :)
8. Please keep in mind that off topic comments will result in a loss of points! If you have to go to the bathroom during the debate, just go. Don't worry about commenting "Omg, brb, bathroom". If it isn't a qualified comment, please don't say it.
Questions? Comment. :)